It’s not easy being sneezy and it’s even less easy when a patient is admitted into hospital care. Whether it’s surgery, giving birth, or general monitoring of a health condition, being in the hospital is truthfully not that interesting. Sometimes you get a room with TV, but the show options just aren’t always great. Plus some people don’t like binge watching or even TV at all. So when admitted for stay it can be tricky to find ways to kill time that isn’t counting the ceiling and the floor tiles. A care package is the perfect way to let a family or even close friends have a little recovery space, but also send a little love.
These are the traditional hospital gifts people often bring whenever family is spending time in the hospital. These items will really tie together your get better care package theme! Besides they are the classics for a reason, right?
- Stuffed Animals
Cute, small, and who doesn’t love those adorable get well soon teddy bears? They make for good hospital companions because they don’t talk back, they always want to watch what you want to watch, and they don’t snore which might not be what you can say for your hospital roommate. However if you don’t want to go the tradition teddy bear route try pulling a few of these inspirations:
- A person’s spirit animal- A spirit animal is the animal that serves as a spiritual guide and has an intimate relationship with a person. If you know of your patient’s spirit animal get them that or get one you think would represent them!
- Favorite animal- Get your loved one as their favorite animal as a fuzzy friend. That’ll at least perk them up a little!
- Based off of their favorite team mascot- plenty of sports mascots are based on animals! Look up their sports team and see if you can find a little stuffed something of the team mascot.
Tie them to whatever container you choose to put your care package together with. Hospitals, while wonderful, simply are not known for their room decor. Balloons bring an element of whimsy to any room they are set in. Plus how often is it considered an appropriate occasion for balloons? Not nearly enough, so capitalize on this situation.
Another gift there just simply aren’t enough occasions for. Flowers will add a pop of color to the undoubtedly white room your patient is in. Not to mention flowers provide a much needed outdoor freshness that is missing from the hospital bedroom. Additionally flowers smell great! If you’re a first time flower buyer consider a bouquet of one of the following
- Carnations They are a holiday classic! Simple, beautiful, and they come in a variety of colors. Traditionally certain carnation colors provide differential meanings behind them. White is luck and purity. Light red symbolizes admiration. Dark red is a symbol of love. Pink is used as a sign of gratitude. Purple is a sudden change of moods. Yellow is a sign of rejection/disappointment so be careful if you choose this color or pick it and send a message. Your choice.
- Roses- Sheer iconicness dictates that it needs no further explanation.
- Lilies- They are elegant and classy. Bonus perk lilies look great ticked behind the ear or put in a hair ornament.
- Daisies- Perfect for playing a round of “he loves me, he loves me not.”
- A Get Better Soon Card
In a world of technological convenience, cards are few and are far between for most. Take your time and write a personalized letter to your loved one or even open it up for your family and friends to sign too! The more the merrier. The kind words might help their recovery go just a little smoother.
Think back to a few moments ago when the world of technology convenience was mentioned. Isn’t technology nice? It is, isn't it? So don’t forget to pack a little of that into your hospital get well care package! Don’t worry plenty of suggestions are to follow.
- A charger
It never hurts to have a spare charger lying around. That way if one chord dies out there’s a back-up. Also reduces the risk of leaving your charger at the hospital and not having one when you get home. Recommended step: get a brick/charging port for the chord too!
- Portable Charger/Power Bank
Outlet situations vary from hospital to hospital and room to room even, but what does not vary is the practicality of having a portable charger to ensure devices don’t lose power too quickly. Leaving your loved one with not much else to do during the doctor’s visit. Even after checking out this gift will still be highly valuable.
- Handheld Games
An ode to the 90’s and early 00’s before handheld gaming consoles took off. It was a simpler time then. Handheld games can be found on Amazon for pretty cheap in the toys and games section. Anything ranging from classic card games, to the crowd pleaser Bop-it, or even a handheld Oregon Trail game there is plenty to choose from. Who knows you may even end up ordering something for yourself too.
- Universal Remote
In the event that the doctors and nurses don’t have a remote control in the patient's room it doesn't hurt to stuff one of these into your hospital care package! Now your loved one won’t have to call the nurse in to change the channel so much or get stuck watching a dull daytime television program. Can additionally serve as a back-up remote once checked out of the hospital. Who isn't constantly misplacing the remote?
Being away from home without your daily comforts and your wardrobe can be pretty off putting. Which is what makes comfort an important gift put into your hospital care package. Feel free to look at the suggestions for some inspiration.
- A pillow and blanket combo
Sleeping out of your own house can be really discomforting. A simple way to help bring a little home to the hospital is the sleeping basics. A pillow to prop yourself up and blanket to keep cozy against the night. If you got the stuffed animal like recommended earlier, you’ve got a complete night time set.
- Slippers + socks set
If your loved one gets chilly easily this is the perfect combo. Did you know that your feet heat up really easily due to the lack of muscle? That’s why if you get cold easily socks and slippers should be your new BFF! Better yet combine these gifts into the ultimate slipper socks and trust that you will regret absolutely nothing about. The only danger is excessive comfort.
These gifts don’t have a cohesive category to go in, but they are equally amazing care package stuffers! This will add a fun variety to the theme of gifts and really fill it out.
- Reading Materials
Pick out a good book or any story you want to share with your loved one. Either they love reading and it will be a blessing or they dislike reading but get so bored they give it a shot. Besides it's hard to find a block of time to set aside for good literature. There’s so many good options like:
- Books- Great for an extended hospital stay or an avid book nerd.
- Magazine- There’s so many to choose from Life, Sports Illustrated, Cosmo, US weekly and more!
- Newspapers- There’s something about unfolding a paper copy of news, the smell of the ink on the paper, and the textured feel on the paper are oddly satisfying things. Plus you get to be well-informed on the news.
- Comic books and graphic novels- This might be good for someone who isn’t too keen on reading because It's a very visual medium. Very minimal reading required.
Don’t think after mentioning handheld games we’d forget about good old fashion games. This might seem a little tricky because the average game requires more than one player but have no fear there are always suggestions to follow!
- Word searches- Fun and interactive! Make sure to get a highlighter with this one too!
- Crosswords- Good way to exercise the brain. Give with a pencil for generosity or just a pen for a challenge.
- Sudoku- It’s one of the few games that make numbers fun.
- Deck of cards- this isn’t a game, but necessary to play solitaire. You could also play against yourself in a game of war. Also good for building a house of cards.
- Fortuneteller- it’s your very own DIY magic 8 ball.
- Paddle Ball- An old fashion classic.
- Cup-in-ball- by the time your loved one gets out they could be a pro!
- Food Service Delivery Gift Cards
Fair or underserved hospitals aren’t known for great food. This can also be very useful for the picky eater stuck in bed at the hospital. Plus it will add a little variety to the meal choices your loved one has while they are away. GrubHub, UberEats, Postmates, and DoorDash are pretty popular food delivery apps for those who are less tech savvy.
Feel free to put a spin on any of these gift care package ideas and make them all your own! No matter what you get your loved one will appreciate the excitement of a care package especially while in the hospital.