With so many different nutritional plans and so much contrasting health advice, it can be difficult to find a diet that works for you. While other nutritional trends have come and gone, going vegan has remained a popular path for people who care about both animals and the environment. Along with these ethical advantages, a vegan diet has many other health benefits.
And the good news? Going vegan does not mean giving up amazing snacks and treats. With many alternative options to choose from, the sky’s the limit when it comes to buying or making the perfect vegan care package.
A vegan diet has many benefits. When an individual adopts a plant-based diet instead of an animal-based one, they help animals, the environment, and they increase their personal health.
Eating Vegan: What’s It All About?
If you’ve been eating vegan for a long time, you probably already know all about the perks of a vegan diet. If you’re new to veganism, you might be surprised by all of the pluses that come with a vegan lifestyle.
Saving the Animals
The main difference between veganism and other diets is that vegans do not use or consume any products that come from animals, including eggs, milk, and other dairy products. For some vegans, avoiding animal products is all about protecting animals and making sure that animals are not being treated cruelly.
If demand leads to supply, refusing to buy animal products has real impacts on the exploitation of animals and on which products are stocked at stores. By turning to alternative food options, vegans can guarantee that they are not contributing to the suffering of animals.
In addition to preventing animal cruelty, adopting a vegan diet can also lead to increased health benefits for an individual. In fact, certain research links vegan diets with lower rates of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers, in addition to lower blood pressure and cholesterol.
With proper planning and adherence to nutritional guidelines, a vegan diet can provide the same amount of nutrients to people of all ages and can encourage people to pay attention to the nutritional value of what they are eating.
Helping the Planet
Many environmental resources are required for the production of meat and animal products, and going vegan can help a person reduce their carbon footprint.
A lot goes into raising animals for meat and for the production of other goods: vast amounts of land are used to grow food for the animals, harvested crops and water are then needed to feed the animals, and transportation resources are required for the delivery of the final products.
By eating vegan, a person can help decrease deforestation, habitat loss, and species extinction.
Because vegan snacks do not contain animal products, many of these snacks are made with organic, clean, natural ingredients. From nuts to granola bars, these items can be rich in nutrients and protein.
Must-Have Items for Your Vegan Care Package
Although it might seem like eliminating meat, dairy, and other animal products from your diet would limit your snack options, there are many alternative vegan snacks that are just as good (if not better) than the originals. From healthy, organic snacks to fun treats, there are great choices for every vegan.
Nuts and Nut Butters
Healthy and versatile, different nut products can be a tasty source of protein in a vegan diet. Here are just a few of the different varieties:
- Wonderful Pistachios - Wonderful Pistachios might sound plain, but don’t let the name fool you. These pistachios can be roasted, salted, shelled, unshelled, chili roasted, or salt and pepper roasted.
- Planters Peanuts, Cashews, and Mixes - From standard peanuts and cashews to mixed arrays of almonds, hazelnuts, and pecans, Planters products are always a good option.
- Justin’s Nut Butters - These nut butters range from traditional to sweet, including classic, maple, cinnamon, coconut, and vanilla almond butter, as well as peanut butter and cashew butter.
- Trail Mix - Can’t decide which nuts or fruits you want to have? No problem. Trail mix is a fun way to vary what you eat and make a snack sweet. Whether you select a pre-mixed pack or make your own vegan trail mix, this snack is sure to make your care package a hit.
Granola Bars and Other Bars
Perfect anywhere, anytime, granola bars can be a great on-the-go option to include in a vegan care package.
- LÄRABAR - Made with organic and natural ingredients, these protein, fruit, and nut bars are gluten free, non-GMO, and vegan. Striving to keep these bars as unprocessed and natural as possible, each bar has no more than nine ingredients.
- IQBARs - These protein bars are specifically made with compounds that benefit the brain and the body. In addition to clean ingredients, these bars offer flavor, too, with options of peanut butter chip, matcha chai, lemon blueberry, banana nut, and more.
- MadeGood Granola Bars - With organic ingredients and six vegetables in every bar, MadeGood Granola Bars are a great vegan option. Want an Apple Cinnamon granola bar? They’ve got it. Want a Cookies and Cream granola bar? They’ve got that too.
Eating healthy foods and eating fun foods aren’t mutually exclusive. In fact, there are a lot of vegan snack options that will satisfy a craving for chips without being too much of a strain on a healthy diet.
- Popchips - Pressurized instead of deep fried, these potato chips have lower fat and calorie counts than other types of chips. Lightly salted, these chips are a perfect healthier alternative when you want to indulge a craving.
- Biena Chickpea Snacks - Crunchy, baked, and lightly salted chickpeas. This snack is high in protein and comes in different sized packages that can be included in both small and large care packages.
- Mighty Peanut Puffs - Like the Popchips, this peanut-flavored snack is not fried -- it’s baked. Plus, these puffs have no added sugars and no artificial flavors.
- Vegan Rob’s Puffs, Crisps, and Popcorn - Puff flavors include Beet, Brussel Sprout, Cheddar, Moringa, Cauliflower, Dragon, Spinach, and Turmeric. Crisp flavors include Cauliflower, Dragon, and Turmeric. Popcorn flavors include Curcumin, Oat Butter, Sea Buckthorn, and Sweet and Salty.
- Live Love Pop - Another take on popcorn, Live Love Pop prioritizes clean ingredients and no preservatives. With eight different varieties, there’s bound to be a flavor for everyone.
Vegan Treats to Sweeten Your Care Package
Avoiding too much sugar is important, but there’s nothing wrong with having a treat now and then. If you know your loved one will be in the mood for some vegan sweets, there are many options to satisfy their sweet tooth, including both common treats and treats made specifically for vegans.
- Justin’s Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups - Classic, iconic, and vegan.
- Rule Breaker Bites and Blondies - In addition to being vegan, these cookie and brownie bites are completely plant-based and gluten-free. Try Mint Chocolate Brownie bites, Birthday Cake bites, Chocolate Chunk Blondie bites, and more.
- Lenny and Larry’s Cookies - These cookies come in classic Chocolate Chip and Double Chocolate, but they also come in unique flavors and in variety packs. Other flavors include Apple Pie, Birthday Cake, Salted Caramel, Snickerdoodle, Choc-O-Mint, Chocolate Donut, and many others.
If you’re unsure about how to make your own vegan care package, no need to fear: there are great ready-made options that you can choose from. Image courtesy of Carepackages.com.
Ready-Made Vegan Care Packages
Don’t want to worry about assembling a care package by yourself? Consider sending your loved one an already made care package with a wide variety of vegan snacks and products.
Here are two complete vegan care packages that are equipped with all of the essential vegan-friendly items you could want.
All Vegan Care Package
This All Vegan Care Package is 100% vegan and stocked with convenient, portable snacks. Items in this care package include:
- Dr. McDougall’s Big Cup Soups
- Pure Organic Bars
- Hippeas Organic ChickPea Puffs
- Late July Organic Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers
- Dang Coconut Chips
- Raw Revolution Bars
- Stretch Island Fruit Leather
- Real Deal Veggie Chips
- And more!
Another bonus of this care package: the sender has the option to send a personalized greeting card with a message of up to 75 words.
Know a college student who has a hard time finding vegan meals and snacks on campus? This care package is the perfect gift for vegan students who want fun vegan snacks and a break from limited dining hall options.
Vegan Out of the Blue Package
Want to surprise a loved one and let them know you’re thinking of them? The Vegan Out of the Blue Package will do just that. Whether the recipient is a long-time vegan or just a fan of healthy snacks, this care package will definitely make their day.
This care package includes:
- Hippeas ChickPea White Cheddar Puffs
- Planter's Salted Peanuts
- Unreal Dark Chocolate Coconut Candy Bar
- Wonderful No Shell Pistachios
- Made Good Granola Minis
- Yum Earth Fruit Snacks (2)
- Inka Plantain Chips
- Real Deal Veggie Chips
- Smarties (5)
- Go Lite Sweet Maui Popped Chips
- Skittles Fun Size (2)
- Twizzlers (5)
- Charms Blow Pop (4)
Just like the All Vegan Care Package (above), the sender of this package can create a 50-75 word personalized greeting card to accompany this gift.
With many options, brands, and varieties, assembling or finding a vegan care package need not be a difficult task. Image courtesy of Carepackages.com.
Want more ideas for what to include in your vegan care package? Be sure to check out all of the vegan websites, blogs, and recipes across the internet. Even though finding vegan snack options might sound challenging at first, going vegan does not mean sacrificing taste, treats, or a balanced, nutritious diet. As the vegan community continues to grow, so do the food options. No matter which vegan products you choose to include in your care package, or no matter which premade care package you choose, the recipient will be delighted by all of the organic, clean, and healthy snacks!